[sane-devel] Re: sane-avision and non-root scanning

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Wed Aug 24 10:22:32 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 12:14, you wrote:

> I'm using your sane backend to do scanning with the HP scanjet 7400c. It
> works when invoking xsane as root but when I start xsane as a normal user,
> the scanner is non detected.
>
> I'm running a Debian sarge system.
>
> I suppose, that I just have to change some owners or permissions for
> files/dirs, but I don't know which are the important ones.

/proc/bus/usb/x/y

where x and y are variable where and when your scanner is plugged it. You can
either manually chown/chmod/... the file - but normally (a) hotplug (variant)
is used to control this. Sophisticated distributions preconfigure this for
their users.

> Thanks in advance for any hints.

No problem,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org