[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO

Gerhard Grygiel grygiel at sun52a.desy.de
Thu Aug 25 19:53:51 UTC 2005

Hi Olaf,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 05:05:26PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Gerhard Grygiel <grygiel at sun52a.desy.de> writes:
>
> > Hi Olaf,

> >> This scanner will neither work with the snapscan backend nor the epson
> >> backend.  Support is _planned_ for the epkowa backend.  You have the
> >> following options:
> >>
> >>   use VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/, Linux version available)
> >>   use Windows
> >>   use MacOS X
> > I favour Open Source solution, but I will give VueScan a trail.
>
> Note that the epkowa backend support for the 4490 will require a
> closed source library.  So it is only a marginally open sourced
> solution.

I tried VueScan but it dosen't work.
The VueScan Linux Release Notes:
 If you're using the Epson Perfection 4490 (GT-X750), make sure you
 have /usr/lib/libesint54.so from the Epson AVASYS SANE distribution.
 You also need to set up the environment variable
 SANEI_EPKOWA_FIRMWAREFILE to point to the firmware file esfw54.bin.
But libesint54.so and esfw54.bin are not in the newest iscan package.

Greetings Gerhard