[sane-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Code freeze for sane-backends 1.0.17

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Dec 12 16:01:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 09:36:05PM +0100, Mogens Jaeger wrote:
> Hopes that this is 'covered' with the "documentation updates" clause.

While the fix looks easy I also tend to not change this before release
to avoid cerating other bugs. As this problem exists in sane-backends
since several releases I guess we can live with it one more release
without fixing now.

> When I point on the sharpness tab, I get a yellow box, showing me the
> header of the sane-backends 1.0.17.da.po file.

Just for explanation: That's because the empty string "" is a special
msgid for gettext and "translates" to the header information (project,
date, translator etc.) The side-effect is that when gettext("") is
called you get that header. The work-around is to not use "" in the
parts of SANE that get translated (opt.title,.desc and values of
string lists). Instead use a good explanation (or something like " "
or "none" if there is really a reason not to provide a text here).

> same window, box for: Quick format you can choose between different
> media-formats like Letter/A4/... an so on, but no explanation:

3361:
  /* Quick format */
  s->opt[OPT_QUICK_FORMAT].name = "quick-format";
  s->opt[OPT_QUICK_FORMAT].title = SANE_I18N ("Quick format");
  s->opt[OPT_QUICK_FORMAT].desc = "";