[sane-devel] snooping of USB within linux

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Dec 31 12:57:29 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 2005-12-29 23:25, Stephen More wrote:
> I thought I would try and write a backend for SANE. I have used UsbSnoop on
> windows  to collect some of the URB Data.  What is the equivalent program on
> linux to snoop USB to see what I am actually sending ? With any luck the
> output of both should be the same.

As far as I know, there is no such program. However, I also have never
seen the need of one until now.

What you can do to look at what's actually sent to and received from
the scanner is to enable debugging: export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255.
If your backend uses sanei_usb functions, you'll get all the necessary
information.

If I remember correctly, there is a similar feature in the Linux kernel.
Such low level debugging is usefull if you try to find hardware bugs
like the toggle issues found in some USB chipsets.