[sane-devel] Re: HP 7450C, hpusbscsi, permissions in Fedora Core 3

Rene Rebe rene@exactcode.de
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:01:41 +0100

Hi,

Thomas Frayne wrote:

> I do not recommend the HP7450C for use with SANE.  I spent 18 months

I have really no idea why you needed 18 months to get the scanner
running. With any well done distribution it should work out of the box
(well most probably not Debian or Gentoo - but I wrote well done anyway
...).

The HP 74xx is supported for _years_ now - and aside the power saving
wakeup problem no issue is known.

> getting it working.  It worked for a few days, including ADF, but paper
> jams required me to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working

Paper Jams must be hardware related - they have nothing to do with the
driver since it just tell's the hardware: "suck in paper" and the
hardware does the rest ...

> again.  After a few days, it made some funny noises, and now the motor
> seems to fail when powering it on.

I scan with HP7450 here for years and the motors are all ok. Maybe you
got a defect device somehow? Ebay?

> I am currently trying to find a new scanner that will work with SANE.
> Since I haven't been able to find an ADF scanner, I might temporarily
> get a cheap flatbed until a well-supported ADF scanner comes along.
>
> Does anyone know of an ADF scanner that has good SANE support?  Or a
> flatbed scanner?

All the Avisiob based scanners are really fine _and_ supported - the i/o
core even gets Avision Headquater certified these days. You can get all
kind of devices from Avision - from simple A4 ADF, Duplex, A3 and even
A3 Duplex these days (AV 8300).

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
             http://www.exactcode.de/ | http://www.t2-project.org/