[sane-devel] Re: HP 7450C, ...

Thomas Frayne tomf@sjpc.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:44:19 -0800

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 12:01 +0100, Rene Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Frayne wrote:
>
> > I do not recommend the HP7450C for use with SANE.  I spent 18 months
>
> I have really no idea why you needed 18 months to get the scanner
> running. With any well done distribution it should work out of the box

> > After a few days, it made some funny noises, and now the motor
> > seems to fail when powering it on.
>
> I scan with HP7450 here for years and the motors are all ok. Maybe you
> got a defect device somehow? Ebay?

I tried periodically over the 18 months to get it configured to run on
various versions of Redhat Linux with a USB connection.  Each time I
failed and went back to using it on Windows XP, where it worked without
problems.  The scanner was the main reason that I kept a dual boot of
Windows XP.  I finally started getting reasonable scans and ADF support
with XSANE under Fedora Core 3.

Most of the time I gave up after hearing funny noises that did not
happen in Windows XP and I could not resolve in Linux.  Last I saw, your
advice was to immediately unplug the scanner in this case, but I saw no
way to troubleshoot it in Linux, so I posted a note, and waited for the
next version of the avision driver.

It was only recently that I discovered that I could bypass the power
save and paper jam problems by unplugging and replugging without a
reboot.

The paper jam problem is very annoying, since the hardware appears to
signal the software, and, in Windows, under FineReader, I get a paper
jam message, clear the jam, and restart the scan where I left off.  In
Linux, I discover the jam, clear it, and unplug and replug the scanner,
but XSANE will not resume.  I have to save the pages already scanned,
stop and restart XSANE, and only then can restart the scan.

I have also used this scanner for years, but the only good results I got
were on Windows XP.  I got the scanner new, directly from HP.

> > Does anyone know of an ADF scanner that has good SANE support?  Or a
> > flatbed scanner?
>
> All the Avisiob based scanners are really fine _and_ supported - the i/o
> core even gets Avision Headquater certified these days. You can get all
> kind of devices from Avision - from simple A4 ADF, Duplex, A3 and even
> A3 Duplex these days (AV 8300).

Since you seem to think that both the hardware and the avision drivers
are well supported, I'll consider giving the HP7450C one more chance:
repair it and try running it again with the avision USB driver.

What should I do if the funny noises recur?  Is the avision support
better for SCSI than for USB?

Tom