[sane-devel] agfa scsi scanner not detected

Martin Collins martin@mkcollins.org
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:15:29 +0000

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:17:30 +0100
renna <renna.bh@katamail.com> wrote:

> i actually found out i have no scsi-controller. i had attached my
> scanner to the parallel port, believing it was scsi. the fact is i
> was used to old macs that had scsi built-in, so i thought scsi was
> built in my motherboard. but if parallel and scsi are different
> standards, why do they have the same plug? and is there a way i
> could use my scsi scanner on my parallel port?

There is no way. Some SCSI scanners were supplied with a cheap and
nasty SCSI card that used a parallel port style plug. Even if you
have such a card you should replace it with a proper SCSI controller
and a cable to match or you won't get the full speed data transfer
from your scanner.

Martin