[sane-devel] agfa scsi scanner not detected

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:28:45 +0100

--nextPart3676092.hI29GJBUPW

> i actually found out i have no scsi-controller. i had attached my
> scanner to the parallel port, believing it was scsi. the fact is i
> was used to old macs that had scsi built-in, so i thought scsi was
> built in my motherboard. but if parallel and scsi are different
> standards, why do they have the same plug? and is there a way i
> could use my scsi scanner on my parallel port?

There seems to be a crippled DB-25 SCSI connector that was introduced=20
by Apple which used the same plug as the PC parallel port (see=20
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/cablesConnectors-c.html).=20

Are you sure you have the 1236S (SCSI) and not the 1236P (parallel=20
port) version?  If it's the 1236P you're out of luck. The parallel=20
port protocol for this scanner is unknown so the scanner is not=20
supported by SANE.

If you have the 1236S you need to get a SCSI controller that is=20
supported by Linux and connect your scanner to that.

/Oliver