[sane-devel] Re: Epson Perfection 2480 Photo, permissions problems

r k roland19955@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:43:44 -0800 (PST)

>tried to get my scanner working, but the most I seem
>get is a permissions error from Xsane as root (I
know,
>it says not to as root, but as a normal user, I don't

>even get any error at all, but just a No Scanner
>Found).

My experience is that if 'scanimage -L' doesn't work,
you don't have to try xsane or xscanimage.
Does 'scanimage --version' show:

  scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.15; backend version
1.0.15

If scanimage only works as root, fix that before
running xsane.
For example, if scanimage finds your scanner at
libusb:001:002, you should check or set the
permissions of file /proc/bus/usb/001/002. It should
be rw for a group that you as user are part of, e.g.,
group scanner. A correctly installed hotplug does just
that.

> farrell usb # export SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255

Why not use SANE_DEBUG_EPSON?
Are you sure that your scanner uses the Snapscan
backend? My Epson 2400 perfection uses the Epson
backend.

> ...all kind of USB messages ...

I run several linux 2.6 boxes, but never got USB2 to
work. In fact, I had to make sure not to modprobe the
USB2 module ehci-hcd or no USB device would work.
Why not try 'rmmod ehci-hcd' ?

> And some info: I'm using Gentoo Linux, on my AMD64
CPU, in 64bit mode.

I am using Debian sarge on AMD Athlon (32-bit).
This distribution contains all the right packages
(sane, hotplug) to make my scanner work. I only had
trouble on older machines that had had debian upgrades
and (probably) sane drivers that I downloaded,
compiled and installed next to debian sane drivers.

I hope this helps.

Greetings, Roland