[sane-devel] Canon LIDA 20 (plustek) scan quality

Alvaro Figueiredo alvarof@freeshell.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:41:33 -0200

Hi, all.

I recently bought a Canon LIDA 20, a USB scanner. It readly worked
on my Linux 2.6 box, but its scan quality is really much worse than
Windows 98 driver's scan output. It is a dual boot box.

I am scanning regular text documents, like the sample bellow.

scanimage --resolution 300 --mode Binary -x 210mm -y 297mm

The Windows output is almost perfect, like a photocopy. The sane's
output seems to have much less resolution and misses some portions
of text that is not black. I am using the same mode (lineart) and
resolution (300dpi) on Linux / sane and Windows. I can send both
outputs, if anyone request it (near 150k each, in PDF).

I have no scanning experience, but I had tried almost all options of
scanimage without significative improvement.

Am I missing something, here?

Follow some system information.

scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.14; backend version 1.0.14

scanimage -L
device `plustek:libusb:001:004' is a Canon N670U/N676U/LiDE20 USB
flatbed scanner

sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220d [CanoScan],
chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:004

--
Alvaro Figueiredo
alvarof@freeshell.org