[sane-devel] Contributing to CanoScan LiDE 500F development.

Stéphane VOLTZ stefdev at modulonet.fr
Wed Jul 27 05:02:43 UTC 2005

Le Mardi 26 Juillet 2005 18:25, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Stéphane,
>
> First of all, thank you for all the invaluable and useful information you
> gave. As such I'm hoping you could give me another push along the way.
> I'm not overly-experienced with C, but I could probably move my way around
> decently. The problem I'm having here, is wrapping my head around the more
> practical issues of using SANE. sane-find-scanner returns;
>    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x221f, chip=GL841?) at
> libusb:003:010
>
> scanimage -L returns;
> No scanners were identified.
>
> I've always assumed each of these scanners would be loaded as individual
> kernel modules, but I suppose that is not the case.
> By reading some scanimage manuals I've found out that scanimage reads the
> USB vendor/product/chip string and somehow tries matching that to any of
> the sane backends.
> To my understanding the /usr/lib/sane/libsane-*.so files are the clue here?
>
> As mentioned, any help would be greatly appreciated here! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Dag Rune Sneeggen

	Hello

	To get your scanner detected, you have to add it to genesys_devices.c first.
You have to add a Genesys_Model struct for your scanner, then add a reference
to it in the Genesys_USB_Device_Entry struct at the end. Much of the log
analyzing will be to find out the exact values to fill in the struct, but for
a start, you can duplicate an existing model and take care to replace the
GENESYS_GL646 value with  GENESYS_GL841. Then you'll have to edit
genesys.conf to add the vendor and product id.

	You can avoid installing your experimental version system wide to test by
setting these variables (assuming you run the frontend in
sane-backends/backend):
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL841=255
export LD_PRELOAD=.libs/libsane-genesys.so

optionally you can add USB debug with
export SANE_DEBUG_USB=255

then any frontend run in the same command shell will run with your latest
compiled version, and with full debug output.

Regards,
	Stef