[sane-devel] Scanning Time Question]

Johannes Berg johannes@sipsolutions.net
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:08:06 +0200

--=-AVo7SEvfXqtm8421c6eX

> Pictures are all 35mm of set of 4 per negative. They are not ( unfortunat=
ely )=20
> on a roll.

So they're in strips? That sucks. You're in for quite a bit of strip
changing then.

> As for application, because I am unable to run Nikon original software un=
der=20
> Gentoo Linux, I was thinking of  http://www.hamrick.com/ VueScan as offer=
ing=20
> the same and more features than what Nicon offers. Do you know anything a=
bout=20
> this or do you think gimps would be fine? Anything else to advice as=20
> application?

I thought you were going to use SANE. Then you don't need vuescan.

> As for format, I do not know yet. I assume it will be either jpeg or tiff=
. I=20
> think jpeg with a good resolution would be sufficient. It is not only for=
=20
> displaying on the monitor but also for prints. They have told me that=20
> nowadays, even a jpeg can be a good graphic format as long as it is well=20
> scanned.
> As for space, once I decided the file format and the compression I can fi=
gure=20
> out how much disk space I will need.

Yeah, whatever. You don't want to keep 20 images in memory though :)

> I like a lot the idea of the script that in the background while scanning=
 the=20
> next picture save the previous one.

Should be fairly easy. Trivial, however, is
scanning,saving,scanning,saving,....

> Summing up, as of now, I have the idea of purchasing the Nikon 4000, with=
=20
> slides accessory (as I also have 300 slides) and perhaps VueScan software=
.

If you get the 4000 with the slides accessory you'll probably be able to
just scan from the command line and write a script to advance to the
next slide, scan, save it, .... (or use scanadf maybe).

> There is a new Epson scanner PhotoPC F-3200 which I do not know well but =
it=20
> does not show up in the compatibility list.=20

No idea.

> Do you know if VueScan still needs SANE as backend?

No idea.

> LAST QUESTION: Any time I have to submit/reply an email, I mail it, it ge=
st on=20
> hold, and then it is sent to the mailing list. Is there a way to eliminat=
e=20
> the hold process, so that when I need help, I just write to=20
> sane-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org and it gets posted?

Subscribe to the list.

johannes

--=-AVo7SEvfXqtm8421c6eX