[sane-devel] plustek_pp scanner + sarge

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:11:07 +0200

Hi,

On Thursday 23 June 2005 07:18, mickfp@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting a Plustek 4831P scanner to work with sarge.
> There's an Epson printer daisy-chained off the scanner which works with
> CUPS. Both worked with Redhat 7.3.
>
> Any help would be appreciated - I've run out of ideas.
>
> conf files, debugs, etc:
>
> mick@dell933 $ dmesg|grep parport
> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO
> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP]

--> ECP could be a problem, but let's see.

> parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 460
> lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

--> daisy-chaining might also be a problem...

But assuming, that this all worked for you in with RH7.3 it should be
okay.

> mick@dell933 $ scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> -----
> root@dell933: scanimage -L
> device `plustek_pp:parport0' is a Plustek 600P/6000P parallel port flatbed
> scanner

Okay - so there is your problem! The access rights need to be tweaked for the parallel
port device.
Check
ls -l /dev/parport*

you should have something like:
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      99,   0 2003-10-02 22:46 /dev/parport0

[SNIPSNAP]

Hope this helps
Gerhard