[sane-devel] Help with USB scanner kernel config

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:07:30 +0100

thewade wrote:
> Hello most generous OpenSource developers!
>
> I am trying to get my old Acer Prisa USB scanner working with my
> new AMD64 laptop running Fedora Core 2 and standard linux kernel
> 2.6.10-lsm. I had the scanner working on my old Pentium 3 laptop
> running Fedora Core 1 and standard kernel 2.6.4 but I configured
> that kernel so long ago I cannot remember what I did kernel
> options I used to get the scanner working. My
> /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf is exactly the same and my u96v121.bin
> is there too.

Some time ago, sane used the scanner kernel module to communicate
over USB with quite a lot of USB scanners. Nowadays, the scanner
kernel module has been removed from the kernel and sane now uses
libusb. Libusb in turn relies on the usbfs virtual file system
in /proc/bus/usb.
So your kernel needs to have usbfs configured in and usbfs needs
to be mounted (e.g. in a boot script).
If lsusb can see your scanner, then usbfs is probably OK.
If sane-find-scanner can see your scanner then libusb is probably
set up OK too.

 > Does the u96v121.bin file need to be different for 64-bit?

I have no idea.

Kind regards,
Bertrik