[sane-devel] Experiences with AGFA Snapscan 1212U?

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Wed Nov 2 19:56:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

> I have a chance to pick up a used AGFA Snapscan 1212U from a friend
> (he moved to XP and it's not supported, and gives dire warnings
> against trying).
>
> I see that the support on both the current stable version and the
> dev version is marked as "good". Is there any important features
> known to be missing that stop it from being marked "complete"? Or
> is it just because "complete" is hard to achieve/prove (I saw the
> recent thread on the definitions of "good" and "complete")?
>
> Any particular positive or negatives experiences?

There have been no reports from users for the 1212U in recent month,
so I assume it works ok ;-)

The maximum resolution for this scanner supported by the snapscan
backend is 600 DPI, which is the optical resolution. As far as I know
the stepper driver of the scanner supports 1200 DPI, so theoretically
it's possible to have a resolution of 600x1200 DPI, but currently
that's not implemented.

There also is one open bug report for the 1212U:
http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=300657&group_id=30186&atid=410366
However, I never got any details so this bug is not likely to be fixed
(if it really is a bug).

Once these two issues are solved I may be tempted to even change the
status to "complete" ;-)

/Oliver