[sane-devel] Nikon LS50/5000

Spiro Angeli Spiro at siriush.com
Wed Nov 9 07:48:13 UTC 2005

Hi Ariel,

Here are some answers:

1) Spiro
> When I run Xsane, I get the option to choose between the two scanners I
> have (Epson and Nikon) and get a new windows with default settings.
>
> I try to scan, and get this error:
> Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O

Ariel
>> i never saw Xsane, or are you referring to xscanimage?. xscanimage kind of
>> works for me, ie,  i get a scanned file ok, but the preview does not get
>> the right scales, and the LUT tabs show me just crap inside (but this of
>> course has nothing to do with the coolscan backend!)

the package I use is: media-gfx/xsane from http://www.xsane.org/
Here is portage link: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=Xsane

2) Ariel
> try "scanimage" from the commandline.
> If you get an error there you should enable debugging output and send us
> that output. Something like this will be helpful:

> export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=4
> export SANE_DEBUG_COOLSCAN2=255
> scanimage > photo.pnm

It all points to my Epson scanner even if both scanners are turned on. So, I
am not able to test it this way. Please provide more info so I can directly
scan with the Nikon scanner.

3) Spiro
> there a plae to choose for those settings, and redice, and all those
> nikon settings?

Ariel
> no, there is support for reading the infrared channel data but the driver
> will NOT clean up the image based on that data, it is available for you to
> use it. But I don't know how one can process that in linux afterwards.
> Anybody?

> As i told you before, many of the "features" advertised for the scanner are
> actually _software_ features provided by the Windows drivers. You won't
> get that with sane. Other people in this list will perhaps know how to
> imitate those features.

Well, this is not sufficent for allowing a user to fully utilize what was
purchased (in my openion). I purchased this device becaue of all its
features. Leaving some out would not match purchasing goals.
For sure you know this scanner better than I do just because you are
deveoloping the driver, but I wish to ask you a question then: How come
VieScan allows all customizations?

As a matter of fact I was already ready to start my project with this
application but preferred to wait and see if I could do the same with sane
(not because of the cost of this package). So I guess sane at this stage is
not ready for my project. Please confirm me this so that I start it in
another way.

Also, if you wish for debugging suggest me how to solve my issue with failed
connection this would be great. Ariel, I am still at your disposal for
testing and debugging for as much as Linux skills assist me. I hope sane or
your development will bring the software to a level where full customizations
and infrared scan become reality.

For now take care,
Spiro