[sane-devel] Xerox Workcentre PE16 and Samsung driver.

Alexey Lobanov A.Lobanov at cro-rct.ru
Fri Nov 11 13:20:44 UTC 2005

Hello all (and the Moderator).

In accordance with
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/xerox-workcentre-pe16.html , I
tried to use the Xerox PE16 machine with Samsung propietary backend.

The result is really funny: Samsung backend recognizes this device as
"SAMSUNG WorkCentre PE16" flatbed scanner. Note the combined correct
device name and wrong vendor name.

The further step fails for very natural reason:

sane_open - device name "SAMSUNG WorkCentre PE16 on USB:0"cannot open!

Yes, of course: USB:0 is "Xerox WorkCentre PE16", not "SAMSUNG... ".

Any ideas? How can I rename an USB device?

Just a note: Samsung "mfp" kernel drivers should neither be installed
nor work: these drivers are for LPT connection only.

Please reply to my personal address, I am not subscribed.

Alexey