[sane-devel] help about canon cannoscan LiDE30

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Nov 28 18:56:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 08:07:33PM +0530, Parag N wrote:
>        I check under backend directory and found it under plustek-usbdevs.c.
> can u help me to know what is that file i mean i found many flatbed scanner
> definitions there in that file. why LiDE30 is written in plustek instead
> under any other file starting cannon name?

To find out if a scanner is supported and by which backend it is
supported you can use the scanner search engine:
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=canon&model=LiDE30&bus=any

With SANE, scanners using the same chipset are supported by the same
backend. So Canon scanners may be supported by the plustek backend
because they use the same hardware. E.g. Epson scanners are supported
by the epson, the snapscan, the umax, and the plustek backend for the
same reason. Scanner manufactureres tend to build their scanners on
a few currently available chipsets.

>         Also when i plug this USB scanner why i got dmesg output as when i
> uses xsane to scan that im age.
> ppdev0: registered pardevice
> ppdev0: unregistered pardevice

Probably caused by a parport backend. To avoid this you can comment out
everything but plustek in dll.conf (probably in /etc/sane.d).

> how to find which device file this scanner is using under /dev directory?

sane-find-scanner

If you want to set permissions, also read README.linux:
http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux