[sane-devel] TWAIN 2.0 targetting Linux

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Tue Oct 11 15:54:10 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 06:40, Stéphane VOLTZ wrote:

> 	I believe this is a great thing. Some time in the future, people will be
> able to bought scanner with the software to have it run immediatly under
> linux. It is what most people (including me) want. A good point for the
> so-called 'linux desktop'.
> 	The diversity wouldn't be a bad thing. We can think the situation would be
> like for video drivers were ATI/NVidia provides closed sources drivers, and
> the free software community open ones. People have then the choice, which
> is good.
> 	Personnaly, this wouldn't make me stop working on SANE. I do it for fun,
> and this won't go away. I'm sure there will be still scanners 'windows
> only' in the future to keep  the 'game' interesting.

A Linux TWAIN will not help at all. TWAIN is just an API - as is SANE. The
device driver must still be written for each operating system. So it does not
matter if a company does not write a Linux SANE driver or Linux TWAIN driver.
There will still be no dirver - and we have to do out ourselfs anyway.

And Linux and SANE are both about open source. Even if one or another Linux
closed source driver would be written by some vendor, it helps nothing when
we can not debug it when it crashes every now and then.

Also my point was we have SANE on Unix system - a TWAIN is likely just to
cause incompatibilities where we have a wide set of applications already
using SANE.

Sincerely yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org