[sane-devel] issue with scanning at higher resolutions

jouthuis at dds.nl jouthuis at dds.nl
Sun Oct 16 17:21:23 UTC 2005

Goodday,

I noticed that scanning at resolutions of, say, 200 dpi and more results in
digital images of ever bigger size, to a point that it is practically impossible
to read them on screen.

(And unfortunately, more modern scanners don't scan at resolutions below 200
dpi; at least mine - a hp3770 - doesn't).

I'm sorry to say this, but I think this is a rather dumb situation. At work I
have to use Windows (sadly enough), and there changing the resolution of scans
doesn't influence the size of the digital image: A4 stays A4 under all
circumstances.

I wonder if there couldn't be any kind of automatic rescaling be built into the
sane-code? I can't imagine anybody being happy with things as they are now, with
respect to this.

Greetings
Jan Outhuis