[sane-devel] issue with scanning at higher resolutions

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Oct 16 18:40:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 07:21:23PM +0200, jouthuis at dds.nl wrote:
> I noticed that scanning at resolutions of, say, 200 dpi and more results in
> digital images of ever bigger size, to a point that it is practically impossible
> to read them on screen.

Why? The actual size of the image on the screen is completely up to
you. It doesn't depend on the resolution which you used for scanning.
The image is scaled to whatever you want, at least with the image
viewers I know.

By the way: Which program to view images are you talking about?

> I'm sorry to say this, but I think this is a rather dumb situation. At work I
> have to use Windows (sadly enough), and there changing the resolution of scans
> doesn't influence the size of the digital image: A4 stays A4 under all
> circumstances.

If this were true you couldn't view a complete A4 page on a "normal"
screen as A4 is just to big. Fortunately, you can just select the zoom
factor you want.

> I wonder if there couldn't be any kind of automatic rescaling be built into the
> sane-code? I can't imagine anybody being happy with things as they are now, with
> respect to this.

You want to down-scale the image data? As far as I know, xsane can do
this. After the scan, select menu "Geometry"->"Scale".