[sane-devel] Trouble with network scanning and Umax Astra 2200

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Wed Sep 28 11:11:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 07:21:30PM -0500, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> I have a Umax Astra 2200 (the combo SCSI/USB version) connected to a USB
> port.  I can scan locally as root or a user using 'scanimage -d
> umax:libusb:001:014 > foo.pnm'.  I also have it configured such that I can
> scan over the network locally (scanimage -d
> net:localhost:umax:libusb:001:014 > foo.pnm).  However, I am unable to
> scan over the network from another machine (I've tried with two).

[...]

> scanimage -T, however, freezes, and renders the scanner unresponsive until
> I power cycle it.

[...]

Do you use some kind of firewall or packet filter? saned uses a
separate port for data (similar to ftp) and it seems that no data can
be transferred using that port.

To be sure that it's not a problem with the umax backend you can use
the test backend (scanimage -d net:ip_address:test -T).

Otherwise send debug logs of the client and server side:

Client:

SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage ....

Server:
SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 saned -d128