[sane-devel] Epson 3590

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Wed Sep 28 18:21:14 UTC 2005

Hi,

> But as the scanner is slower in preview mode than in normal
> scan mode at low resolution, it might be a good idea to
> map the preview option to some low-res option in the backend.

I don't quite understand that. Are you saying that preview is slower
than a normal scan at 200 DPI? (200 DPI should be the lowest
resolution for the 3590.) I was under the impression that any
frontend would use the lowest available resolution as the default
resolution for previewing.

Some background: The author of the patch for 3490 support encountered
a problem with previews, i.e. the area selected in the preview window
of xsane didn't match the area that finally got scanned. Apparently
that problem only occurred when using certain resolutions. After
setting the lowest possible resolution to 200 DPI that problem was
solved, afaik.

> Another (although theoretical) problem with the Epson/Snapscan
> backend: The backend reads the path of the firmware file from
> the snapscan.conf file. What happens if there is more than
> one scanner?

They'll all use the same firmware :-)

I know this is a potential problem, but up to now I didn't get any
complaints. If anyone needs this feature I'll think of a solution...

/Oliver