[sane-devel] Epson 3590

Ulrich Deiters Ulrich.Deiters at uni-koeln.de
Fri Sep 30 09:49:37 UTC 2005

> I don't quite understand that. Are you saying that preview is slower
> than a normal scan at 200 DPI? (200 DPI should be the lowest
> resolution for the 3590.) I was under the impression that any
> frontend would use the lowest available resolution as the default
> resolution for previewing.

The scanner is slow in preview mode and makes a different noise
(probably because it is doing very small y steps). Right now
the preview mode is not the same as the normal 200 dpi mode.
But this is not surprising: Somewhere around line 870 in snapscan-scsi.c
you inform the scanner that it is in preview mode:

    source = 0x0;
    if (pss->preview) {
        source |= 0x80; /* no high quality in preview */
    }
    else {
        source |= 0x40; /* no preview */
    }

I suspect that the scanner takes that as an excuse to get lazy
(with respect to the y motion). :-)

I will download the latest CVS version during the weekend and
see if the problem still persists.

Regards,

Ulrich