[sane-devel] FC 5 has problem when detecting sm 3600

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Apr 17 13:08:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-04-10 05:15, Tamkang wrote:
> I have a problem when want to debug the xsane to detect where the
> sm3600 was ?  it appears no device ? first of all the xsane in
> /usr/bin/xsane it work, then if in /usr/local/bin/xsane, it cannot
> find out the scanner ? and I have question to ask , because fc5 is
> have no /etc/hotplug anymore, and is being replace
> /etc/udev/60-libsane.rules, I already see the sm3600 is already
> there, is it the xsane will always look the data in 60-libsane.rules
> to see the device is supported by xsane /sane ? but why in
> sane-find-scanner it cannot find out the scanner, neither the
> scanimage -L but the xsane in /usr/bin/xsane it can work normally ?

First find out if it really is a permission problem. Run
sane-find-scanner and "scanimage -L" as root. If that works but fails
as normal user, it's a permission problem.

Then check the way your distribution sets up permissions.
sane-backends comes with some files for using with hotplug and udev,
but they are not installed automatically. So usually the distribution
package authors install these files. Documentation on how this works
should come with your distribution.