[sane-devel] Hotplug and udev files created automatically now, please test!

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Apr 18 18:59:17 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

In SANE CVS the creation of the files libsane.usermap, libsane.db and
libsane.rules is now done automatically from the backends' description
files.

libsane.usermap is used by Linux hotplug (tools/hotplug/)
libsane.db is used by Linux hotplug-ng (tools/hotplug-ng/)
libsane.rules is used by Linux udev (tools/udev)

All three files are mainly used to set permissions on the USB device
files (e.g. /proc/bus/usb/001/002).

The files contain the USb vendor and product ids of all devices
supported by SANE (and some more unsupported ones). They are created
automatically from the backends' description files using the tool
sane-desc. sane-desc is also used to generate our scanner lists on the
web site. Therefore, now the lists are in sync and USB ids have to be
added only in one place when a new scanner is reported.

I can only test hotplug-ng at the moment. This works for me.

Please test if hotplug and udev work with the new files.

Bye,
  henning