[SOLVED] Re: [sane-devel] Canon LiDE 30 FC 5 hotplug question

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Sun Apr 30 08:04:41 UTC 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:29:52 -0700
Richard England <rengland at europa.com> wrote:

> I tried limiting this by adding  GROUP="scanner" to the UDEV rule,
> creating the group "scanner" and adding my account to that group
> but it seems that unless I do a "newgrp scanner" to change my
> primary group, I can't access it.

If you start a new shell (or log out and in again) it will include
scanner in its groups.
You could set the perms to 0660.

> I'd be glad to learn the proper way to limit this further, or the
> Gnu-Linux-proper way to use groups (they don't seem to be exactly
> as I'm used to on Unix)  if anyone wants to enlighten me.

There's no difference AFAIK...

> The only lingering question in my mind is,  "is this as it should
> be?". Shouldn't there be something in place to allow the general
> user to simply plug in a supported scanner and use it without be
> root or modifying the UDEV rules?

IIRC the Debian package sets up a scanner group, and UDEV I think,
maybe you should raise it with the FC package maintainer (one would
hope they hang out here anyway).

Martin