[SOLVED] Re: [sane-devel] Canon LiDE 30 FC 5 hotplug question

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Sun Apr 30 17:11:47 UTC 2006

Martin Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:29:52 -0700
> Richard England <rengland at europa.com> wrote:
>

>> I tried limiting this by adding  GROUP="scanner" to the UDEV rule,
>> creating the group "scanner" and adding my account to that group
>> but it seems that unless I do a "newgrp scanner" to change my
>> primary group, I can't access it.
>>

> If you start a new shell (or log out and in again) it will include
> scanner in its groups.
> You could set the perms to 0660.
>

>> I'd be glad to learn the proper way to limit this further, or the
>> Gnu-Linux-proper way to use groups (they don't seem to be exactly
>> as I'm used to on Unix)  if anyone wants to enlighten me.
>>

> There's no difference AFAIK...
>

>> The only lingering question in my mind is,  "is this as it should
>> be?". Shouldn't there be something in place to allow the general
>> user to simply plug in a supported scanner and use it without be
>> root or modifying the UDEV rules?
>>

> IIRC the Debian package sets up a scanner group, and UDEV I think,
> maybe you should raise it with the FC package maintainer (one would
> hope they hang out here anyway).
>
> Martin

You were right.  I tried a new shell but I hadn't tried logging back
in.  When I logged out and back in, the new group was recognized and the
scanner was available.

That means the entry in:

/etc/udev/rules/60-libsane.rules

is:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="220e",
SYMLINK+="scanner-%k",  GROUP="scanner", MODE="0660"

Thanks for your response.

--
--R