[sane-devel] Help with Canon 2700f

John Bird arrant at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Aug 2 00:22:15 UTC 2006

Hi
first let me apologise for posting here but I have searched on the net and
posted in two Linux user groups all to no avail. I'm running Kubutu 6.06 64
bit using Kernel 26.15.26 and so installed Deb packets from this
distribution.
I'm trying (very trying at times) to get GIMP to Scan using a Canon 2700F film
scanner but neither Gimp nor Kooka see it, They both see the USB flat bed,
 From the Sane document I know that this scanner is supported by sane canon
backend.This scanner shows in KinfoCenter as Below

Attached devices
Host scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
 Vendor: CANON   Model IX-27015C      Rev: 1.15
 Type:  Scanner               ANSI SCSI revision: 02

And my SCSI shows up correctly.
From the documentation in the sane-backends-1.0.16 I found the following which
seems to applie.

  Add the "canon" scanner to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf file:
      -------- cut here ------------
      # enable the next line if you want to allow access through the network:
      #net
      pnm
      #mustek
      #hp
      #qcam
      #umax
      canon
      -------- cut here ------------

   Add a "canon.conf" file to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d directory:
      -------- cut here ------------
      scsi CANON
      -------- cut here ------------

In the Kubutu distro I use there is no /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll, but there is
a /etc/sane.d/dll which I assume is the equivalent in this distro. In this
directory I have made a file .conf file, cutting and pasting as instructed.
There was already a canon conf file in the /etc/sane.d consisting of,

#canon conf
/dev/scanner
#/dev/sg0

and so to this I cut and pasted  scsi CANON  and have tried it in all possible
combinations commenting out lines and removing comments, but cannot get Gimp
or Koola to see it even as root. The scanner goes through its calibrate cycle
on boot up. The only components of SANE I have installed are the following

gimp2.0-quiteinsane
libsane
python-imaging-sane
python2.4-imaging-sane

Any help with this would be most wellcome at this point(please save me from
the evil empire of windoz)
John.