[sane-devel] Plustek scanner - follow up

Immanuel CRC Office office at immanuelministries.ca
Fri Aug 4 18:19:38 UTC 2006

Immanuel CRC Office wrote:
> m. allan noah wrote:
>>
>> the permissions of the device file /dev/parport0 need to be changed.
>>
>> in the old days, we would use chmod or chown. if you are still using
>> kernel 2.4, this might work for you.
>>
>> more modern systems do not have static device files on the hard drive,
>> the files are created at each boot. so if you make perms changes, they
>> will be lost at each reboot. there are a myriad of solutions to this,
>> including hotplug/coldplug, udev, devfs, and resmgr. which one of
>> those you need depends on which linux you are using, and how recently
>> it has been updated :(
>>
>> fortunately, it seems that most distros have settled on udev, so
>> things should hopefully settle down (tongue firmly in cheek)
>>
>> allan
>>

> I'm using Ubuntu 6.06, fully updated. I'll try to find a howto on udev.
>
> I tried a mini-howto
> (http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/digitalimage/Scanning-as-Normal-User-on-Wierd-Scanner-Mini-HOWTO.txt)
> but that was only for /dev/parport0 so that won't work, I guess.
>
> Crystle

I changed quite a few things, so I don't know if they all need to be
changed. The last thing I changed that made it work was to add my user
to the lp group by editing /etc/group and then logging in again.

Other things I changed along the way that might have affected it:

1. Uncommented sane-port in /etc/services

2. Added / edited file sane-port in /etc/xinet.d/
**Restart xinetd after this change**

# default: off
# for network access to a local scanner via the \
# network.
service sane
{
         disable = no
         port            = 6566
         socket_type     = stream
         wait            = no
         groups          = yes
         user            = root
         group           = root
         server          = /usr/sbin/saned
}

3. added 'localhost' line to /etc/sane.d/saned.conf and /etc/sane.d/net.conf

4. Uncommented 'net' line in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf (near the top)

Anyways, thanks all for the help. I now have to dig to find out how to
turn off the scanner lamp, as it is tending to stay on.

Crystle

--
Crystle Numan
Administrative Secretary, Immanuel CRC