[sane-devel] Plustek scanner - follow up

Immanuel CRC Office office at immanuelministries.ca
Fri Aug 4 16:39:00 UTC 2006

m. allan noah wrote:

> the permissions of the device file /dev/parport0 need to be changed.
>
> in the old days, we would use chmod or chown. if you are still using
> kernel 2.4, this might work for you.
>
> more modern systems do not have static device files on the hard drive,
> the files are created at each boot. so if you make perms changes, they
> will be lost at each reboot. there are a myriad of solutions to this,
> including hotplug/coldplug, udev, devfs, and resmgr. which one of those
> you need depends on which linux you are using, and how recently it has
> been updated :(
>
> fortunately, it seems that most distros have settled on udev, so things
> should hopefully settle down (tongue firmly in cheek)
>
> allan

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06, fully updated. I'll try to find a howto on udev.

I tried a mini-howto
(http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/digitalimage/Scanning-as-Normal-User-on-Wierd-Scanner-Mini-HOWTO.txt)
but that was only for /dev/parport0 so that won't work, I guess.

Crystle

--
Crystle Numan
Administrative Secretary, Immanuel CRC