[sane-devel] HP 2300C (GL646) head bumps and screams

Stéphane VOLTZ stefdev at modulonet.fr
Sun Aug 6 07:11:43 UTC 2006

Le samedi 5 août 2006 01:33, Bill Dawson a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
> I reviewed the few threads concerning the 2300C from early in May of
> this year. E.g. here:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-May/016724.html
>
> I have the latest sources (2006-08-04) and have looked through
> genesys_devices.c, and it looks like Stef did indeed make the changes
> exactly as he said he would in those previous threads.  So I was hoping
> that everything would work...
>
> But, alas, I get the problem of the head bumping into the end and
> screaming at me until I put it out of its misery by pulling the plug.
>
> The good news is that I get a nice looking image file.  But of course
> it's no fun pulling the plug every time it's done.
>
> I ran scanimage --mode Color  >scan.pnm  2>debug.log (with the
> appropriate debug level 255 environment vars exported) and uploaded the
> results to...
> http://www.billdawson.com/misc/genesys_scan.tar.gz
> ... in case someone can have a look for me and maybe offer some advice.
>
> Many thx,
> bill

	Hello,

	with the debugging data you posted, I have found where the problem comes. It
is hopefully fixed in CVS version, but since I don't have an HP2300 to test,
you'll have to do it ... but I expect it to be OK.
	The bug is in the sanei_genesys_search_reference_point() function which
wasn't detecting y edge of the 'position pattern' because the picture wasn't
contrasted enough. So the y offset detected was too big, shifting all scans
to the bottom of the scanner. It could be noticed in final scan, since it was
lacking the top of the picture.

Regards,
	Stef