[sane-devel] Re: sane-find-scanner detects smartcard reader as scanner

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 13:04:46 UTC 2006

Hi,
On 8/8/06, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Aug 8 16:49 Parag N(????) wrote (shortened):
> > What sane-find-scanner does
> > 3)check_usb_file will open each attached usb device and then collect
> > USB ID's and it will show you that output.
>
> Not in any case.
>
> There are several other USB devices which are correctly not
> shown as scanners by sane-find-scanner.
      Can i know which are those that you experienced are not detected
by sane-find-scanner?

> Right now I didn't check check_usb_file and the functions
> which it calls in detail but according to
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=95324&action=view
> it seems sane-find-scanner lists any USB device as scanner when
> either bDeviceClass = 255 (Vendor Specific Class)
> or bDeviceClass = 0 (Defined at Interface level)
>    and bInterfaceClass = 255 (Vendor Specific Class)
> because those USB devices are "The Usual Suspects" ;-)
 yeah i just checked with other USB webcams and barcode scanners and
what i found is that your observation is correct.
 for all webcams i got
either bDeviceClass = 255 (Vendor Specific Class)
or bDeviceClass = 0 (Defined at Interface level) with bInterfaceClass
= 255 (Vendor Specific Class)
but for USB barcode scanner i got
 bDeviceClass = 0 (Defined at Interface level) with bInterfaceClass = 3
which is not detected by sane-find-scanner.