[sane-devel] infrared, SANE_FRAME_RGBA

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Thu Dec 14 08:48:38 CET 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 17:02, Alessandro Zummo wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>   I would like to add proper infrared support to my Coolscan LS-2000.
>
>   This would require modifications to the current sources of coolscan2
>  and scanimage.
>
>   coolscan2, when fixed with my patch, gives back the infrared channel
>  on a second pass, passing batch-count=2 to scanimage.
>
>   I would like to add the format SANE_FRAME_RGBA and have the infrared
>  channel passed back as the alpha channel. I would then patch
>  scanimage to save this channel to a tiff file.
>
>   In order to the infrared channel to be useful, the driver will
>  refuse to alter the image in any way (i.e. no gamma) when in RGBA
>  mode.

[SNIPSNAP]
Hi,

sorry for the noise, but AFAIR, we had this discussion already here
about extending the currently available image data formats. The
conclusion was, that with SANE 1.0 we should not do that - SANE 2.0
will be the solution ;) - Henning???

I see that your changes won't probably break anything, but I think
it is again time for the discussion - Allow extending SANE 1.0
or not - SANE 2.0 is far from being ever started :(

Gerhard