[sane-devel] infrared, SANE_FRAME_RGBA

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Thu Dec 14 16:18:41 CET 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:40:45 +0100
Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard at gjaeger.de> wrote:

> >  maybe add a wiki and a new friendlier bug tracking
> >  system (trac has both).
>
> any volunteers?

 if someone has a machine, installing trac is easy, and I can
 eventually do it. I can use a machine at my company, but would prefer
 to keep it on an "open" sever.

> >  my suggestions, thus, are:
> >
> >  - wiki
>
> Hmmm, it's like everything around here in the net:
> * a lot of the information is hopelessly outdated
> * if up to date, nobody uses it - they ask on the mailing list

 well.. it depends on the community.. I've seen bad
 and good wikis. But we don't know what will happen
 unless we try :)

> >  - trac
> >  - comments
>
> * Good thing, we started usage of doxygen...

 /me hates it :)

> >  - dropping support for anything that is not C99
> >  - code reorganization (no more 6K lines in a single file!)
> >  - standard debug levels for drivers (no more SANE_DEBUG_DRIVERNAME)
> >  - conformance
>
> The same problem as porting the stuff to SANE 2 - you'll need the
> authors...

 not for everything... I have some time to reorganize epson2
 and maybe coolscan 2... dropping support for C99 is also
 easy :)

 and.. if you break a driver you will surely get complaints :-D

> All of your point sound reasonable and doable for me - of course, but as I
> said: We ran into these discussion often enough and the result was:
> No new features, they are for SANE2.

 I'd agree on the principle if it is implementable :)

> But I think you are right, we are moving into a dead-end. We have
> devices that are able to do much more than we are able to support
> with the SANE 1 standard AND we have a not yet finished (if finished
> ever) SANE 2 standard.

 Event if finished, it could take years to code. And given
 that we are in 2007 I think we can wait no more.

> I'd like to hear/read some more opinions on that.
> Any?

 btw..
 I've appreciated your quick response to my email!

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Turin, Italy