[sane-devel] SANE2 commitment

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 08:50:36 CET 2006

I'm fine about it not being linux only, I just think we're limiting
our options to be all things to all platforms.

For instance, the back ends them selves do not need to be platform
specific. but i believe sane integration 'how the backends are used'
should be.

Because at the end of the day all you really need to do is have a
small amount of plugin code for linux hal, same for windows hal, other
archs will need more thicker backend but that doesn't mean you need to
force it on operating systems that already manage devices without
blathering.

If it turns out to be non-trivial then perhaps there ort to be a linux
sane, call it less-sane 'linux embeded scanner support - sane' and we
can all have a chuckle and use the same backend driver code.

I just can't believe that we're stuck in the stone age of scanner
device management because of bsd, I suspect that this is exactly the
same reason gutten print is having device problems too, but at least
they have better device code.