[sane-devel] Microtek 4800 scanner

Dan dmisc at charter.net
Wed Dec 27 09:23:06 CET 2006

Hi Dale,

I have a Microtek 5950 scanner. You can see the details at http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/microtek-scanmaker-5950.html.  I thought you may find the way I use this scanner helpful.  I have the scanner connected to a cheap XP computer. My Linux computer is a Samba server. I scan documents directly into the Samba drive (Z:) on XP and they appear in my "/samba" directory on Linux. You can find used XP computers for $100-$150 in my area on www.craigslist.org. Sometimes you can find a new computer for $250 on a closeout sale. I find I need an XP computer anyway for some programs.

I have seen some talk on sane2. It seems to me and keep in mind that I just converted to Linux this year, that we should be pushing for a scanner standard so we do not have to keep writing drivers forever. Most cameras seem to adhere to one of 2 standards. My GCC printer at first didn't seem to be supported but it followed 2 standards (postscript and pcl). All I needed to do was move the .PPD file over from windows to get the printer working. It seems that we should have a standard for scanners and a PPD equivalent that specifies the differences for each scanner.

I wrote to Microtek to get programmer documentation on the 5950 scanner but never got a reply. I thought that Wine my be the answer I was looking for, but it doesn't handle low level, like drivers. Another idea may be for sane2 to support support windows drivers. I'm only guessing that the API for a windows driver (because it is low level) would be much much smaller.

Regards,
Dan