[sane-devel] scanner's buttons daemon+gui

Jean-Christophe 'Jice' Cardot sane at cardot.net
Sat Dec 30 17:27:43 CET 2006

Hi

I've developped a GUI + daemon (based on code by Rene Rebe - avision backend)
for buttons support through SANE.
Web site: http://cardot.net/KScannerButtons
At the moment the daemon is a quick and dirty hack based on Rene's code, but
at least working. The GUI is built using Kommander from kde-webdev; only the
daemon is mandatory.

It's using the SANE backend to talk to the scanner (and not adressing the
scanner directly through libusb as scanbuttond does - see
scanbuttond.sourceforge.net).

I tested it only with the avision backend and a HP 5300 C scanner.

I was wondering wether or not there is a convention for buttons among
backends: in the avision backend, the option name is equal to "button-<button
number>".

Also, which backend support buttons?

Could you please test my software with your scanner (if your backend support
buttons) to help me build a list of supported devices?

TIA

PS: I was also wondering why the button support as found in scanbuttond is not
(or is it?) in the backends. For me SANE is the preferred way to access
scanners, and any button daemon should make use of SANE backends...
--
Jean-Christophe "Jicé" Cardot - http://lea-linux.org