[sane-devel] lexmark x1170 @Mdk2005: OK, but making noises

Fred Odendaal freshshelf at rogers.com
Wed Feb 8 02:29:02 UTC 2006

Patek,

When the scanner begins making that loud noise it means the scan head
has moved to far. If it is doing it as soon as you tell it to scan it is
because the backend can't find the home position. If the scan head moves
through the scan and goes off the far end (the left side of the scanner)
it is because the backend scanned too far. This is not good for your
scanner. Hitting the power button only works for the printer part of
this all-in-one. To stop it, either unplug the power or the usb cable.
It can damage your scanner if it makes this noise too long.

There is a known bug with this backend doing scans at 1200dpi where it
scans too far. If you are getting this problem at other resolutions you
can send me a logfile and I'll see if I can determine the problem.

To create a logfile with xsane do the following:
- If your shell is a korn shell, or bash shell type "export
SANE_DEBUG_LEXMARK=20"
- If your shell is C shell, or tcsh shell type "setenv
SANE_DEBUG_LEXMARK 20"
- From the same shell type "xsane 2> xsane_log"
- Try doing a scan and quit (don't let the scanner make the noise too
long - unplug the usb cable as soon as you hear it).
- Send me the xsane_log file.

If you are using a different frontend replace "xsane" with that
frontend's name.

regards,
Fred O.