[sane-devel] HP PSC 2355, FC4, scanner wont work under sane

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Feb 12 12:49:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-02-09 17:35, Mark Winder wrote:
> HP PCM 2355 , FC4, scanner wont work under sane

Are you sure that this is the name of your scanner? According to
google, such a scanner does not exist.

> Ive just purchased an HP PCM 2355 for a friend on the basis that HP
> printers and scanner are some of the best supported devices under
> linux. The printer installation went fine, but the scanner resists
> all attempts to make it work. I feel a right charlie as I recommended
> it! Even HP's support line keeps me hanging on at premium rate and
> then tells me my query is out of scope!

Checking if a scanner is supported before buying it is usually a good
idea. It doesn't help to know that 98% of HP scanners are supported if
your scanner is one of the 2%. In fact, if your scanner is actually a
"PSC 2355" it should work with the hpaio backend. At least it says "PSC
2300 series" on its web site.

> usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed while 'scanimage' sets config #1

Use sane-backends 1.0.17 or newer. hpaio must also be built with this
or a newer version to enable a work-around for this problem.
Another work-around is to do "rmmod usblp".

> SANE_DEBUG_HP=128

As the scanner is not supported by the hp backend this won't help.

> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_init: found libusb device (0x03f0/0x4911) interface 0 at libusb:004:006

So it's there.

> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x4911 [PSC 2350 series]) at libusb:004:006

Ah, really a PSC.

> I have modified the file /etc/sane.d/hp.dll by adding the following 3 lines:

"hp.conf". This scanner is NOT supported by the hp backend but by
hpaio. So fiddling with the hp backend won't help.

> Does anyone one have any clues about this ? This printer is said to
> have good SANE support

The SANE website doesn't say this. In fact it points to the hpoj/hplip
pages for reference. These are external backends so it's usually better
to contact their authors directly.