[sane-devel] scanimage -b (batch) bugs?

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Fri Jun 2 15:23:25 UTC 2006

sane.ps says on page 32 that after sane_read returns EOF, the frontend
should return to sane_start if more frames are desired, skipping
sane_cancel.

quoting David Mosberger-Tang:
  *
  * > In other words, the idea is to have sane_start() be called, and
  * > collect as many images as the frontend wants (which could in turn
  * > consist of multiple frames each as indicated by frame-type) and
  * > when the frontend is done, it should call sane_cancel().
  * > Sometimes it's better to think of sane_cancel() as "sane_stop()"
  * > but that name would have had some misleading connotations as
  * > well, that's why we stuck with "cancel".

scanadf works this way, scanimage -b does not. it calls sane_cancel
between each page. when scanning duplex, this can be a problem, as the
backend may have cached the backside into a buffer, and sane_cancel() will
destroy that buffer.

i think this is a scanimage bug?

allan