[sane-devel] Epson 4490 in Debian

Fredrik Sandstrom fs at iki.fi
Fri Jun 9 15:14:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to use an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo under Debian etch
(testing). It's supposedly fully supported by the epkowa backend. This
is what I did so far:

- installed Debian's sane, sane-utils and libsane-extras packages (the
  last one contains the epkowa backend)

- downloaded iscan-2.0.0-0.c2.tar.gz from www.avasys.jp, for the
  binary-only component not distributed by Debian

- copied the binary-only component libesmod.so to /usr/lib/epkowa/,
  in accordance to the instructions given in
  /usr/share/doc/libsane-extras/README.Debian

- removed "epson" from /etc/sane/dll.conf (also following the same
  instructions) and made sure epkowa was enabled

The result? sane-find-scanner detects the scanner fine, but
scanimage -L does not. Adding "usb 0x04b8 0x0119" to /etc/epkowa.conf
makes scanimage -L *claim* to find the scanner,
(device `epkowa:libusb:001:002' is a Epson  flatbed scanner)
but scanning does not work.
(scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument)

So, where did I go wrong? Any ideas?

Some ideas of my own:

The instructions in /usr/share/doc/libsane-extras/README.Debian says
that one should make sure to use a matching version of the binary
component. That would be version 1.16.0-3, according to
/usr/share/doc/libsane-extras/copyright. But www.avasys.jp will only
let me download version 2.0.0. Are older versions available somewhere?
However, I doubt this is the only problem, because strace reveals that
scanimage does not look in /usr/lib/epkowa/ at all, and that can't be
right.

Thanks for reading. :)

--
Fredrik Sandström