[sane-devel] Epson 4490 in Debian

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Tue Jun 13 06:39:36 UTC 2006

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:

Hi,

> I had a look at the source package since, and, yes, you did change the
> path to /usr/lib/epkowa.  Since I've done some reorganising WRT to the
> interpreters (libesint*.so), you may find that 2.0.0 (and the upcoming
> 2.1.0) will be smoother sailing when packaging.  All interpreters are
> now installed in $pkglibdir and the backend will now work both with
> and without the interpreters installed.

Ah thanks, that'll make my life easier :) The amount of work required
to get the backend in shape for inclusion is one of the reasons why
I'm not updating it more often (that's me being lazy wrt
semi-proprietary stuff :p)

> There is also a ./configure option to turn building of the frontend
> off to cater to non-i386 builds.  The default is to test for the
> architecture and turn it off if non-i386, but you can override on the
> command-line.

That's nice too :)

> I guess that for Debian that doesn't really matter much because there
> is still a BLOB in the source tarball :-(
> # The good news is that there only one now, instead of seven ;-)

IIRC the license for the frontend isn't DFSG-free, though I'd need to
re-read it. So it'd have to go to non-free, which isn't autobuilt
anyway. (hmm, does the license allow for redistribution of the binary
parts ?)

> Note that iscan-2.1.0 is slated for release at approximately the same
> schedule as the upcoming sane-backends.  If you have any questions WRT
> packaging for libsane-extras, you know where to find me ;-)

Thanks for the hint :)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>