[sane-devel] How to detect USB scanners on linux?

Rupesh Tarpara rupesh.tarpara at patni.com
Tue Jun 13 11:03:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am using Redhat AS 3, update 7. kernel string 2.4.21-40.EL.

I am developing sane backend for USB hand held image scanner.

Problem :-

When I connect the USB device and run 'sane-find-scanner' command, it does
not detect my usb scanner. It displays error message as, 'make sure usb host
controller driver is installed and kernel scanner module is loaded'.

1) The files present in /dev/usb are :-

scanner0   scanner10  scanner12  scanner14  scanner2   scanner4   scanner6
scanner8
scanner1   scanner11  scanner13  scanner15  scanner3   scanner5   scanner7
scanner9

2) the files present in /etc/hotplug are :-

blacklist          ieee1394.agent  pci        pci.rc  usb.agent
usb.handmap  usb.usermap
hotplug.functions  net.agent       pci.agent  usb     usb.distmap  usb.rc

3) output of lsmod is:-

ide-cd                 33920   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  32416   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
i810_audio             29784   0  (autoclean)
ac97_codec             17736   0  (autoclean) [i810_audio]
soundcore               6436   2  (autoclean) [i810_audio]
agpgart                57752   6  (autoclean)
audit                  89944   2  (autoclean)
usbserial              23420   0  (autoclean) (unused)
parport_pc             18756   1  (autoclean)
lp                      8964   0  (autoclean)
parport                36832   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
autofs4                16152   0  (autoclean) (unused)
e100                   28264   1
mii                     4516   0  [e100]
floppy                 56624   0  (autoclean)
sg                     36236   0  (autoclean) (unused)
scsi_mod              107180   1  (autoclean) [sg]
microcode               5688   0  (autoclean)
keybdev                 2944   0  (unused)
mousedev                5524   1
hid                    22244   0  (unused)
input                   5888   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
ehci-hcd               20008   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               25740   0  (unused)
usbcore                77408   1  [usbserial hid ehci-hcd usb-uhci]
ext3                   85864   2
jbd                    50956   2  [ext3]

can anyone guide me what is wrong? Where to look for usb scanner device
file?
is it necessary to install, usb-serial port emulator driver(kernel module)
for scanner device on linux? (as usbserial module is already present)

Thanks in advance,

Rupesh Tarpara

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin at patni.com and delete this mail.