[sane-devel] Epson 4490 in Debian

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jun 13 13:45:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Jun 13 15:13 Julien BLACHE wrote (shortened):
> >> What I have done
> >> now is suggesting to the upstream developers to make two packages, one
> >> with the frontend and one with the backend, to be more distro-friendly.
> >> I have no answer yet, lets see what they say.
> >
> > Be prepared to be very patient - I asked this since 14 Jul 2004,
> > see the shortened mail at the bottom :-(
>
> And the answer will probably be "it would confuse our users even
> more"

Of course it must be terrible confusing for the poor users,
when they have out of the box Linux support for their devices
in all Linux distributions on all hardware platforms ;-)

Some more what I already wrote in my above mentioned mail:
See
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/11/jsmeix_print-info-for-manufacturers.html
for the advantages for manufacturers of free software
(of course it applies also for scanners):
The advantage for the ... manufacturer is that he will receive
comprehensive Linux support for his devices in all products ...
on all hardware platforms for which these products are available
and for new versions of the products ... without any extra expenses
for the ... manufacturer.

> but then, so does using japanese model names all over the
> place. I'm a bit fed up with trying to remember which japanese model
> name matches which non-japanese model name :/
> (It's painful enough with all those rebranded scanners, so if
> manufacturers like Epson could stick to having only one model name...)

I don't care about model names or whatever else when I get a free
normal working driver for all those models ;-)

> > Perhaps it helps the Epson Avasys decision makers to make the right
> > decisions when all (or at least almost all) Linux distributors
> > demand the same thing.
>
> It'd be nice if something could be organised between Epson's
> management, SANE developers (Henning ? khk ? Oliver Schwartz ?) and
> some key distributions to discuss the situation and see what can be
> done to improve it as much as possible. (obviously I'd have no problem
> attending such a meeting, as long as I am available on that day and
> can make it to the meeting).

Same for me.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner