[sane-devel] Epson usb scanner hangs up

Ruell Magpayo ruell.magpayo at eppi.epson.com.ph
Sat Jun 17 10:15:38 UTC 2006

Hi

I need help in configuring in order for me to use my Epson AL-CX11 scanner
in linux. Im not using any UI(X11,KDE,Gnome) since Im using Linux server
which is all console based and im trying to setup my print and scanning
server anyways I installed sane-backends-1.0.17 and my scanner is already
found when issuing sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L . But when I try to
issue scanimage command in console the scanner doesnft scan anything,
displays the log as

Tryin to write 2 bytes

Wanted 2 bytes, wrote 2 bytes

Tryin to read 4 bytes

Read returned EOF

scanimage: sane_start: End of file reached

and freezes up the device, Thus causing the problem gDevice or resource
busyh.

I need to turn the device off-on. Ive searched all over the net for this
problem and people suggested to modify/update something in ohci.c but when I
look at the source for the kernel the file ohci.c doesnft exists but lots of
ohci-* files.

I need help on the following points;

1) what do I need to fixed this problem?

2) am I on the right track? Is it my usb that is the problem?

 is my research that points me to modifying usb host drver correct?
(ehci,ohci,uhci)

3) where else do I need to look for solutions?

Heres my some useful info:

Libusb 0.1.12

Sane-backends-1.0.17

Linux kernel 2.6.15

Ubuntu server (but I donft think distro matters)

thanks