[sane-devel] Epson 3170 in Kubuntu

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Jun 21 00:39:23 UTC 2006

Adrian Jadic <jadic at dallnet.net> writes:

> I sent the request for deb to avasys,
> Yes you are right I just looked for libkscan as a package. I also have the
> libkscan.so
> As for the url:
> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5751.0

Thanks for the URL.  I had a quick look and it seems iscan ought to
work.  Seeing the somewhat unreproducible results when trying to use
the device I was wondering if there aren't any USB related problems.

The Perfection 3170 needs to get a firmware file before it can be used
and sending this may take some time.  If there are USB timeouts, you
could get some of the weird behaviour where one time the device is
found alright and the next time it's not.

Note, the firmware file is only sent once after the device is powered
on (and you tried to use it).  As long as you don't power-cycle the
device, the firmware file will not be sent again.  Even if you
disconnect the USB cable.

> In terms of libkscan and kooka: I have a feeling they are not maintained
> anymore. The person who was in charge (Klaas Freitag) does not seem to be
> supporting these products since the newest logs on the website are from 2004.
>
> I guess I'll have to switch to another app until someone from KDE takes over
> this issue seriously.
>
> [snip]

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/