[sane-devel] using SANE with a Canoscan LIDE 30 under mac osx

Marc Freitag marc.freitag at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 20:49:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a Canoscan Lide 30 which used to work just fine with SANE under
Linux. But I had to change my GNU/Linux laptop for a PowerBook and now
things are getting more complex... First, the Canon doesn't provide a
Twain driver but only some kind of photoshop plug--in. Of course, I
don't have photoshop and the application given by Canon to use their
plug-in in a "stand alone" way (Canoscan Toolbox) is of very, very
poor quality. Anyway, I'd like to use the scanner with all the fine
opensource software, in particular the Gimp.

Here is what I get, when I run "sane-find-scanner":

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220e [CanoScan],
chip=LM983x?) at libusb:003:002-04a9-220e-ff-00

Notice the (I think) tell-tale "?"

But then, "scanimage -L" doesn't find a thing.

The backend for this scanner appears to be the plustek one. I have the
plustek.conf file (in /sw/etc/sane.d as SANE was installed with fink).
I have tried different things in this file, including putting

[usb]  0x04a9 0x220e
device auto

or

device libusb:003:002-04a9-220e-ff-00

or

device libusb:003:002

But in no case is the scanner seen by scanimage...

Is there a solution other than buy another scanner (or go back to Linux)??

Marc