[sane-devel] xsane "image position"

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:07:42 UTC 2006

I am using xsane to "copy": print to a laserjet printer what is
scanned from a Print-Scan-Copy (PSC) ink jet printer.  It works, and
saves me gobs on ink.  Xsane displays an "image position" widget.  I
am trying to understand how this works.  It is not intuitive to me.

I am using xsane on an amd64 Gentoo GNU/Linux system.  I am pleased
how well it works, with an HP 2175 PSC printer for scanning.
Amazingly, right "out of the box."

For some reason, though xsane has  gotten into a state where no change
in scanned area is made when this widget is used, no matter what the
setting, I get the same result.

The result isn't, as I said, intuitive to me.  When the box shown is
in the upper right hand corner, where on the scanner is the upper
right hand corner?  It hasn't been clear to me, even when it worked a
couple of months ago: I have had to try and try, and finally through
trial and error come up with a setting that worked to get a whole page
scanned and printed.

The zoom slider isn't making sense either.

Perhaps this feedback will be useful to someone who works or worked on
this amazingly useful piece of programming.  Thank you whomever you
are.

Alan Davis