[sane-devel] Using SANE to control the scanner head movement for robotics project?

Jack Gassett jack_gassett at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 17:26:09 UTC 2006

Hello, I am trying to find out if this is possible before I dive into programming this. I would like to use an old scanner in a robotics project. Instead of tearing it apart and using my own stepper controller it would be nice to use SANE to control the stepper controller built into the scanner. So is it possible to get to a low enough level with SANE to move the scanner head to a specific position and then have it stop there. Then move it to another position and stop there?

I was hoping that I could use the SANE API's to control the scanner head movement and then the code would work for several different scanners. If SANE's API's are too high level to do this does anyone know if this would be possible with TWAIN or any other similiar API?

I think worst case scenario I will have to target a specific scanner and then look for any reverse engineering information on the Web or get usbsnoop and try to reverse it myself. I would prefer to avoid this and be able to go the easy route. I would like to do this in a manner that other people can benefit from this as well.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
            Jack Gassett